Thursday, June 2, 2011

Rage for BUYING engineering college seats

I guess this post had to come from me immediately after the announcement of the XII grade results both the State Board and CBSC. I got to a talk to a few people rigorously involved in engineering admissions and have some observations/suggestions. Better late than never!

First of all, the increasing demand of buying a seat in the management quota has exponentially increased, reasons being many. All I can think of are:
1. I expected "x" marks in my board exams and fell short by a whisker. I aimed for a seat in "y" college, which I don't think I would be able to get now. I think I deserve a seat in the college, so am going to buy it.
2. Reservations due to caste system. The students belonging to OC(forward caste) are facing more pressure due to comparatively high cut-off range for them. On what basis are these reservations done? I have no idea. Is this the question of affordability or the facilities available for children at home? Does it mean students who belong to OC are rich? No way. I have known of children of the temple priests who study with great difficulty and the parents not being able to afford to give them higher education. They belong to OC. I have also known of a lot of students from MBC(Most Backward Caste), who come from very wealthy families. Not sure based on what all these obsolete reservations are made.
3. Peer pressure - A lot of my friends have already got a seat through the management quota, not willing to wait for the counseling, which is more than a month from now.
4. Status - I want to be raising my collars and say that I am studying in "y" college.
5. Some reasons that parents give - I don't want my son to go to a mediocre college, as there will be no competition.

Why does everyone want to go to "y" college? This is what people have to say.
"Y" is a good college. Now, on what basis do you rate a college? Based on which college sets the highest cut-off for admissions? Based on infrastructure? Based on the faculty? Whichever it maybe, I would say it least matters, unless you have very high marks, so you have 3 colleges from the same category to choose from.

For the rest of the students, I would say, the right thing to do is wait your turn.

Why am I so confident in telling so? According to me, there is nothing called a "good" or a "bad" college. This might hold good for schools but surely not for colleges. You might want to choose a "good" school, because that is the prime time, when students have to be moulded properly. This doesn't apply for colleges. The students are adults now. They know what they want to do. They have that discretion.

Technology and exposure and networking(and what not???) is boundless these days. I don't have to depend on my lecturer to teach me a particular subject. I open my computer and the world is in front of me. I am connected to all my friends, thanx to facebook, and I can have open discussions on what they are doing, be it the reference books or project ideas. What more do I need?

How does the college that I am attending matter anymore? What matters is my INTEREST. If I am not passionate about doing something, then studying in "y" college is also not going to help me grow.

I heard this from a reliable source. He had gone to a few engineering colleges to enquire about the availability and cost of management seats and this is what was done to him. The security guard, asked him to leave all this things(cell phone, paper, pen, wallet, etc.) outside. Once he went in, the guy at the counter made a phone call to an anonymous person who was quoting the price of the seats and cut the phone abruptly. No cell phones are allowed inside, fearing that someone might record what was happening in there and let it out. They themselves know what they are doing is not right.

But, if we go to them and buy the seat, are we right? Doesn't it mean that we are blindly encouraging them? I read an article in ibnlive, that says it is illegal to offer management seats until the counselling is over(read the last but one paragraph).

Guys, wake up! Irrespective of what college you study in, your degree is still going to be given by "Anna University".

Anna University hasn't announced the rank yet, but don't fret thinking if you would get an admission during counselling. I saw this website that approximately tells you where you stand. They also have a college finder, so you have an idea of what to expect.
http://www.tneahelp.in/tneacutoff.html

I personally think its a good feeling to study in a college where I deserve to, which is what I did. The attitude to prove yourself will be more and you will work harder. This will not happen when you buy the seat. It will be taken for granted.

Also take into account the money involved. It can be used for something more useful, like a developing your own project idea or doing masters.

Don't go by what others have to tell you. Its your future. You know what you want better than anybody else does. And, nobody else cares about you as much as you do. Think before you act!

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment