Sunday, June 26, 2011

திருக்குறள் (Thirukkural) 396

தொட்டனைத் தூறும் மணற்கேணி மாந்தர்க்கு
கற்றனைத் தூறும் அறிவு.
For those who can't read Tamizh,
Thottanaithu Oorum manarkeni maandharku
Kattranaithu oorum arivu.

This is one of the most famous verses in Thirukkural. If you have had Tamizh language as a part of your curriculum, I'm sure you might have not missed this verse. I am no exception. This verse was in the "important questions" for exam category, and I remember having memorized it when I was in 4th or 5th grade (and am surprised I remember it now, despite my poor memory). Thirukkural was stressed so much back then, that there were Thirukkural competitions held in the class regularly, where we were supposed to recite the verses. I once got the third place and was given a radium sticker for prize :)

I happened to hear this particular verse in a movie that I saw yesterday and it struck me like lightning.

Translation of this verse : "As a sandy fount yields more water every time you dig, so does knowledge grow, the more you read, the deeper."

Why this struck me? I have let my brain rust for years now. Especially the past year has been worse. For the amount of "free" time I have had, the useful reading that I have done is negligible. I think its high time I catch up with all the reading and knowledge acquisition that I should have done years back.

Also, the reason I still remember this verse is the number of times I was made to read it back then. And one of the reasons I don't remember as much of anything that I read in the recent past is that, I basically don't care. Everything can be found on the internet and I can "copy and paste" whenever I want. Internet FOR ME, has been more of a curse than a blessing. It has made me lazy. Of-course, I didn't mean to blame the internet :)

So, the conclusion of this post, if you have to become wise, stop using the internet, stop copy-pasting.... I'm sure you all are super mad already :)

On a serious note, it is rightly said that a good book is man's best companion. People might let you down, but the books and the knowledge that is acquired from them, will only make you wise and strong. Keep reading.... :)

4 comments:

  1. I think: all things in moderation. We can have it all if we want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you did what you had to do. It is true you must keep learning no matter at what phase you're in life. This Kural has served me as motivation many times.

    ReplyDelete