Tuesday, March 29, 2011

India vs US


No, I'm not talking about a cricket match(When did America gather the guts to play cricket against India!!!)...

I am just missing home, specially more on the eve of an Indo-Pak World Cup semifinal, when people out there are having so much fun with all the hype on tv, wierd/funny SMSes and every person talking of nothing else but cricket.

Not that US is a bad place to live in, it is, in fact a very good place to be in, but just that I feel more secure at home. Reason? Why should I even have a reason to feel secure whilst at home!

Infact people here are very helpful and warm, but still my heart wishes that I were home, with my family and friends. Those after-office conversations at home, late night phone calls, visiting relatives, hanging out with friends, attending weddings, most importantly, being there when they really need you!

Is the weather here bad? Not at all, very pleasant in fact, but I miss those sunny days and the craving for ice-creams, tender coconut water, sodas, juices, etc!
Is life very hectic here? No way, I have all the time on earth, but I liked it better when I thought I didn't have enough time for myself, and I didn't have to research on the purpose of life either :)

Am I finding it tough to manage the house? Not a chance. Its hardly dirty, so less cleaning, less time to cook, drying clothes and dishwashing is automated as well, yet, I miss laying traps to catch the mouse, getting rid of ants, hunting cockroaches and lizards.

Don't I get good food here? Very good food, infact. Mexican, Itallian, Thai and what not? But I still haven't spotted a place where I can get real good veg biryani, which I can get at every other road in Chennai. More than missing my family and friends, I miss eating at all the restaurants. For a fact, McD at India is tastier, catering more to our kinda tastes. There are also the pizzahuts, dominos, subways, starbucks, to name a few. What more is needed? And who would want to miss all the festival and wedding feasts?

Are there no lakes/beaches? Plently of them, but the visit is never complete without the "molaga bajji" .

All English movies release first in the US(lots of them release in India simultaneously), but even before I catch up with them here, my friends in India do.
Known fact is that all new technologies are available in the US markets first. I read reviews, talk to people who have used it, look up for deals and finally decide on buying a new product. When I announce my decision to my friends in India, I find that two of them are already using it and advise me if its worth buying it or not.
Gone are the days when my aunt used to live in Canada and we waited every summer, for her India visit, curious to know what "foreign goods" she's got for us. When I had to visit India last year, I called a few people to ask if they needed something from the States, and they laughed out saying there's nothing that the Indian markets don't have, that I can get from America.
I feel I'm living a life without purpose(Not that I achieved something great while in India, but ateast had the feeling :)

Mother India, I beseech that thou take me into thine arms soon!

.....And not forgetting to give all the wishes to Team India,
GO INDIA GO!!!

2 comments:

  1. Somehow I love this blog very much... very neatly articulated.
    Unlike your other blogs.. this has some sense of humour .. witty style of writing.
    When I read your previous blogs, I could not stop wondering that Lakshmi can write so serious blogs where in reality (voice conversation) she is a witty person.

    Serious or light.. your blogs are very good.

    Waiting to read more from u..

    All the best !

    ReplyDelete