Friday, March 25, 2011

Bhaja Govindam

I vaguely remember the audio cassette we had at home when I was young - MS' Bhaja Govindam and Vishnu Sahasranamam(Bhaja Govindam was preceded by a short talk by Sri. Rajaji). Mom being a good singer herself, I was exposed to a lot of Carnatic music. I almost grew up with MS songs, some of them were lullabies, mom used to hum some of them and some others were on cassettes.

MS was the reason I liked Bhaja Govindam, eventually I tried learning what it meant, but every-time I did, one thought would lead into another and I would end up confused. This happened today as well.

Punarapi jananam punarapi maranam,
Punarapi janani jatare sayanam,
Iha samsaare bahu dusthare,
Krupayaa pare pahi murare.

"The cycle of births and deaths is endless. Oh Lord, kindly help me cross this unsurpassable ocean of the world."

Taking a look at this verse, it looked very simple to understand, but I am wrong. The Almighty is the only One who can help me out of all the confusions that I have regarding what life is and how to take it forward. Regardless of that, why do I sometimes think I can handle situations all by myself? Why do I even attempt doing something without asking Him to lead me? How do I forget to thank him for the countless things he has given and keep asking him for what he has not? When will I understand that He alone knows what is best for me and that I should trust Him completely?

A couple of days ago, I was told to do something, which I didnt know was right or not, and had to decide if I have to oblige. I spent half a night sleepless, not being able to decide what was right. A sudden thought, thinking "You will do what is best for me, so whatever happens tomorrow, is for my own good, and is dedicated to You". Apparently all my confusions vanished in no-time. The next day, what happened never affected me. I did oblige to what I was told, irrespective of which I was happy, as I knew it was He who wanted me to do it.

As I write this, I cant but think of a dear friend who lost her loved one today. I totally know its Your plan, but accepting something like this is being very difficult for us. I pray that You teach us what life is all about while You give her family all that it takes to stand the loss.

I just read an email about how the Japanese reacted during/after the earthquake which said "Not a single visual of chest-beating or wild grief." This only makes me go short of words.

Bhaja govindam bhaja govindam
Govindam bhaja moodamathe

2 comments:

  1. it was nice to read your blog. as you said..it is very simple, do accept things what ever happen in our life, just be good to yourself and others.
    you mentioned some sudden thought...what is that..may be something that you had in your subconcious mind...

    anyway..keep writing..its interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Immensely touched by your blog.
    Thank the Almighty for the wonderful hearts around me.

    Thank you laks !

    ReplyDelete