Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Grow and become child-like

I spent a week with my 4-year-old nephew, and it was a revelation.

I've never spent a lot of time with kids, so this was an experience by itself and a much-needed change from my daily routine.

A lot of realizations.... My brother said, it was not long ago when we were kids, visiting our aunts/uncles for vacations. We could hardly believe that we ourselves are uncles and aunts now. I recall my childhood when my brother and me used to consider our dad out-dated for anything he did. Each time he tells a story about his childhood, be it how inexpensive things used to be, how they knew the value for money, how there was comparatively less vehicles and lesser pollution, how they were contended with the simple life-style they led, and much more, I used to either get bored of his same-old-stories or not even care to listen what he tried to convey.

Now I can easily picturise myself in his position. If I keep telling this - when I was a child, I could cycle to school without traffic hassles, I paid a lot lesser school fees, I used to listen to my dad's words implicitly, didn't know how a laptop looked like, iphones didn't even exist et all, any kid who gets to hear this, will no doubt call me a fool. Life is a circle, you get what you give. I envy these kids for the amount of exposure they get and how well they use it.

I took my nephew to the Microsoft visitor center, which housed almost all of Microsoft's recent products, presuming he will get all excited, but he proved me wrong. He behaved as though he was a pro at everything out there, but apparently I hear he is very new to Microsoft products(an apple expert, though :). By the time I would read the instructions to figure out what can be done with a certain gadget, he would have tried his hands on it and succeeded.

We show him a Windows phone at the Microsoft store and ask him what it was and he inadvertently shouts "Its an ipod". We couldn't control laughing and had to plan to take him to the apple store, so he feels at-home ;)

His eagerness to learn and focus is tremendous. Be it chess or ping-pong, its a delight watching him play. Though a beginner, the terminologies he uses would make anyone think he is a champ. Wish I could be as flexible a learner as him.

Unconditional love can come only from kids. He keeps saying "I love you" and "I miss you" and you can fall flat for it. He doesn't love me because I gave/will give him something. He loves me, for no reasons at all.

You scold him very badly, and he is sure to forget all of it in less than 10 minutes. Wonder how kids can have no ego at all.

I wish I could grow, and become child-like :)

I love you "best-buy" and miss you so much and hope we will get to spend time together soon.

I pray that he always remain healthy and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment