Friday, April 8, 2011

"Attachment"less

Attachment has a very broad scope, from being attached to an object, a house, car, money, place, event, to people.

Attachment limits one's capabilities. Example, a doctor can't(usually) give the same kind of treatment to his son, that he gives to a stranger, because of attachment. This analogy applies to everything else.

Examples:

A job interview - How about attending a job interview and not giving a damn about really getting the job? I think I would perform more efficiently and be less nervous(which is what is required), as I don't care if the result is gonna be otherwise. This also means, performing one's duties to the best of one's ability, without being worried about the consequences(the essence of Bhagavad Gita).

Writing an exam - How about writing an exam without keeping in mind the marks you wanna be scoring? I had never done this all my life(I wish I had). All I used to care, was about the important questions, the model papers, writing answers in terms of the answer key, etc., rather than really concentrating on the knowledge part of it. I did score very good marks, which is the only thing that mattered at that point in time. When I think of it now, 12 years after I did my schooling, I consider myself a loser, for having gone behind marks, and not giving my best shot at attaining as much knowledge as possible.

What we think we desire today, might be right very temporarily, but may not hold good on a broader perspective, like my previous example. The irony is, in the present, we don't even have the slightest idea of that broader perspective.

The best way out, is to live an attachment-free, desire-free, anger-free and contentment-filled life.

The more you desire to have something and attain it, the more attached you are towards it, and you feel all the more bad when you tend to lose it. The more you desire to have something but not attain it, you still have to go through the pain of not getting what you wished for. Don't you think its even better not to desire for something, so you won't be attached to what you get?

Living a non-attached life doesn't mean you are going to live a zeal-less life. Your life is still going to be all fun and adventurous, and in addition it is going to be less-complicated, which will, in-fact, give you more happiness. Consider you have planned a fun outing with a group of friends after a very long time and you have been long-anticipating that day. How would you feel if the plan doesn't workout because one of them couldn't make it? I would experience one of these two - anger, if the reason for his non-showing was lame, and pain, if he still had a valid reason. Either way, I'm gonna be affected. My being attached to this whole event will make me feel worse. Isn't it better to stay non-attached? It means, if my friends show up, I'm gonna have all the fun under the sun, if they don't, I don't really care :)

To sum up,

mayi sarvani karmani sannyasyadhyatma-cetasa
nirasir nirmamo bhutva yudhyasva vigata-jvarah
Therefore, O Arjuna, surrendering all your works unto Me, with mind intent on Me, and without desire for gain and free from egoism and lethargy, fight.
-Bhagavad Gita 3:30

4 comments:

  1. I certainly save myself a lot of pain being non-attached, but the question is, am I really alive? Isn't pain a necessary (and vital) part of life?

    Contemplative writing, all your posts so far

    BRN

    ReplyDelete
  2. @BRN - Non-attachment removes the pain that puts you down, and not the pain that helps you grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm... Attachmentless life ..easily said than done :).
    This sure needs a lot of work done to our inner self to live an attachment-free, desire-free, anger-free and contentment-filled life. By lots of work I mean the more effort we put in to understand ourselves, get the knowledge and awareness to realize the purpose of life and live life to the fullest (contentment).

    Learn, Mature and Move on..

    ReplyDelete